Thursday, August 30, 2007

Summer Mystery Challenge Wrap-Up

For the Summer Mystery Challenge, hosted at Reviewed by Liz, participants were requred to read books by six new-to-them authors between June 1st and August 31st. I completed six selections, with one substitution (James for Pears):

Secret History by Donna Tartt
From Doon with Death by Ruth Rendell
The Door by Mary Roberts Rinehart
Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas
Death in Holy Orders by P.D. James
Death at Bishop's Keep by Robin Paige

The best book: Some Danger Involved, followed closely by Death in Holy Orders.
What book could I have done without? The Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears.
Any new authors? They're all new-that was the point!
Books I did not finish: Fingerpost.
What did I learn from this challenge? That it's ok to abandon a book if you're really, really not enjoying it. Also, I really want to read more by Thomas and James. Of course, the most important thing that I learned is that my favourite mystery writers really are better than most!

(Note: thanks to Nyssaneala for the idea to have questions!)

4 comments:

Booklogged said...

Congratulations, again. This is the only challenge so far that I didn't get to finish. AND I love mysteries. I added several of your's to my list.

Eva said...

Booklogged, aren't mysteries the best? I love them too!

jenclair said...

I didn't care for Secret History or for The Instance of the Fingerpost--but love P.D. James.

Eva said...

Jenclair, I hated Fingerpost, and while Secret History was ok, I think it could've been 100 page shorter. At least. I think I love James as well; I just got another of her books on CD and I'm really enjoying it. Yay! New mystery author!