Friday, June 22, 2007

Once Upon A Time Challenge Wrap-Up

The Once Upon a Time Challenge, developed at Stainless Steel Droppings, allowed participants to choose a combination of four books from the four different genres of fantasy. They could also choose to finish the challenge with "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream." I completed my five selections for the Once Upon a Time Challenge, with no substitutions...
Widdershins by Charles de Lint
The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clark
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstick (didn't review, because I didn't enjoy it)
"A Mid-Summer Night's Dream" by William Shakespeare (didn't review, because it's Shakespeare)

The best book: Widdershins by Charles de Lint (although I feel blasphemous not putting Gaiman here).
What book could I have done without? Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstick.
Any new authors? de Lint and Holdstick
Books I did not finish: none! I considered abandoning the Holdstick.
What did I learn from this challenge? That de Lint is a great author! Also, I realised how many other people really love fantasy, through the challenge community. It reminded me of how important the genre was to me in high school. :)

(Note: thanks to Nyssaneala for the idea to have questions!)

No comments: