Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Classics Challenge Wrap-Up

A Reader's Journal hosted the Classics Challenge. Participants chose five classics to read during January and February. I read all five of my original choices:

1. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
2. Middlemarch by George Eliot
3. Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
4. Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
5. Daisy Miller by Henry James

The best book: oh no, I can't really pick. All of them but Daisy Miller were stunning, in their own ways.

What book could I have done without? Daisy Miller by Henry James. I just don't think that novellas are for me!

Any new authors? Yep-Wilkie Collins, Isak Dinesen, and Mary Elizabeth Braddon.

Books I did not finish:
none!

What did I learn from this challenge? That I really need to incorporate more classics into my life. More importantly, I realised that good classics have universal themes and characters that fit right into my 21st century life.

(Note: thanks to Nyssaneala for the idea to have questions!)

No comments: