Friday, August 31, 2007

Southern Reading Challenge Wrap-Up (and a confession)

First, my confession: I've begun reading for my September challenges two days earlier. I just couldn't help myself. However, I'm not going to talk about them or list them until tomorrow. :)

Maggie hosted the Southern Reading Challenge, where participants were expected to read 3 books set in Southern places and written by Southern authors between June 1st and August 31st. Meanwhile, Maggie provided a lot of info about Southern authors, gave away a whole bunch of pecans, and hosted a Sense of Place contest, where readers had to find a picture to match a descriptive passage in one of their Southern books. I finished all three of my choices...
Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Cane River by Lalita Tademy

The best book: Delta Wedding, but I loved them all!
What book could I have done without? None!
Any new authors? All of them. :)
Books I did not finish: None!
What did I learn from this challenge? That reading Southern lit is great, and I should do more of it. :) Also, I learned quite abit about the Creole culture, which was neat.

(Note: thanks to Nyssaneala for the idea to have questions!)

6 comments:

Dewey said...

I'm stealing those questions! :)

Booklogged said...

I was going to ask if I could use them, too. Would you or Nassaneala mind? Congrats on finishing. Didn't you just love The Secret Life of Bees? I'm adding Welty's book to my list, but not Tademy's because I've tried to read it and just didn't get into it. Maybe I should give it another try.

Ana S. said...

You are not alone - I couldn't resist starting mine earlier either.

I find creole culture very interesting too. I really have to read "Cane River" sometime.

Eva said...

Dewey, sounds good!
Booklogged, this is blogging-steal away. :) I did love The Secret Life of Bees-my review is quite gushy. I can see why you wouldn't get into Tademy's book; the writing style isn't very engaging. I found the story compelling enough to keep going.

Nymeth, I'm glad I'm not alone. :) Isn't the Creole culture just fascinating? French speakers in the US!

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I'm stealing them, too :)! And at your recommendation I've added Delta Wedding to my eventually-TBR list.

maggie moran said...

Congrats on your hard work and I'm thrilled you got into the genre! Happy Reading during RIP2! :D