Saturday, April 21, 2007

Movie of Middlemarch?

Reading the BBC today, I found that Sam Mendes plans to direct Middlemarch. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

On the one hand, the plot could be converted fairly easily. After all, Dickens and Austen have both been on the big screen plenty of times. And it could give more exposure to Eliot's works, which would be great.

On the other, I once read that Middlemarch was the proof that English is a beautiful language. I can't remember where I saw that, but I definitely agree. I loved reading the novel in large part because of the cascade of words. There was a tone about them that I don't think could be easily recreated.

Of course, Mendes directed American Beauty, which was certainly filled with tone. So we'll have to see. What do you guys think?

2 comments:

Bybee said...

wow, great news! I can hardly wait. I think he'll do OK with it.

Bybee said...

I read today that he's also planning to do Revolutionary Road. He'll stay busy! Hm, very different novels, but both see marriage in a rather dark light. hmmm...