Monday, June 18, 2007

A Good Book Day

I sent out my first batch of book mooches; seventeen books in all, including a really big hardcover-thank God for media mail! And then, upon arriving home, what was waiting in the mailbox for me? My very first mooched book. :)






Of course, the post office is right next to the library. So, I ducked in "just to grab some audio books." Yeah, right.




If you click on the picture, it should be big enough to see the various books I got. I doubt that I'll read them all, because some of them I wasn't sure if they'll actually be good. I have two medieval mysteries: Mistress of the Art of Death and The Traitor's Tale, as well as the historical The Virgin's Lover (Gregory seems to be popping up everywhere and I've never read her). Wizards is a collection of short stories I got because Neil Gaiman has one in there. I've already looked through Hidden Kitchens: I thought that it would be a bookbook w/ some stories, but in fact it's a lot of stories about cooking and barely any recipes. Rather disappointing. On the other hand, I've started A Sense of the World, about the most adventerous eighteenth century explorer who happened to be blind, and it's very intriguing so far. Dancing in the Streets seems like another interesting non-fic: it's supposed to be a history of joy and ecstasy. Oh, and on my way out I saw Heart-Shaped Box, which I've heard good things about!

The best part was when I was checking out-the librarian was a fellow book lover, and gave me the heads up about a great used bookstore downtown. I can hardly wait for an excuse to go that way!

Arriving home, I began Les liaisons dangereuses while enjoying the sun. I'm finding it great fun so far! As far as blogish things go, expect a review of Cane River, my first Southern Challenge choice, tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great book day. Hope you enjoy Instance at the Fingerpost. I thought it was really clever... It drags a bit toward the middle but still a very enjoyable read. And, hope you get to the new bookstore soon so you can tell us all about it :)

Dewey said...

Bookmooch! I'm always so excited when someone discovers it, because I just love it. I'm sure you won't be sending 17 books every week, though, because when someone posts a new inventory, all the books on people's wishlist get snapped up, and then it's more like a trickle, one book to send this week, maybe two next week, and so on. Or maybe I just have a small inventory!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Score!

I really need to try Bookmooch.

Booklogged said...

Yay for you! Looks like it was a great day. I can't believe how thin your copy of Fingerposts looks. I really liked it - hope you do, too.

Love bookmooch, too!

Dewey said...

I came back to tell you that I saw your comment to litlove about having fibromyalgia. I have fibromyalgia, too. Did you see my comment in litlove's blog about considering making a blog just about chronic illnesses? Do you think people would read that?

Danielle said...

I love bookmooch, too. I don't think I have ever sent out more than two books in one week before, though! I want to read the Iain Pears book, as well as Les Liaisons Dangereuses. I have been trying not to check out too many library books as I never can get them all read before the due date, but it is so tempting to pick up books when you're browsing!