Friday, June 15, 2007

Internet Goodies

I've finally 'discovered' Book Mooch and Library Thing. I'd known about them for sometime, but I figured that they weren't for me. Boy was I wrong.

I'm using Library Thing since I have to rearrange my bookshelves anyway. Coming home from college, I have about 50 more books to fit in, and I want to do it in an orderly manner. So far, I've gotten through all of my non-fiction (including having to hand-enter my Russian books...a little frustrating) and my mysteries. So, I'm maybe a third of the way through and already have about 150 books in the catalog. Honestly, I knew I had a lot of books, but I'm still surprised. :)

As far as Book Mooch...I can sense the danger already. I signed up for it last night, and I already have 13 books to send out and 11 that I'm mooching. So much for clearing the shelves. ;) I can't wait to take a pic of the stack of mooched books, though! So far, I've requested Cousin Bette (for my summer reading challenge), An Instance of the Fingerpost (for the mystery challenge), Bel Canto (I've been wanting to read this forever), The Little Country (another de Lint novel), The Pope's Rhinoceros (read about on Eve's Alexandria), The Witching Hour (because everyone needs trashy summer reading sometimes), and some non-fic to jumpstart my interest in the area: Death at the Priory, French Lessons: A Memoir, Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China, Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America. Anyway, if you're on book mooch as well, feel free to check out my inventory. :) There's a lot of philosophy in there, but some fiction as well!

Finally, I'm mooching a three-in-one book of Mary Roberts Rinehart. I realised that I have read Kate Atkinson before (I read Behind the Scenes at the Museum years ago), so I'm substituting Rinehart's The Door in the Summer Mystery Challenge.

I'm going to try to reread Turn of the Screw before I review it. I don't think I can give it a fair review right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Bookmooch! I never knew what pleasure there was in recieving books in the mail once a week. Even though you know it has to be something that you've requested, it still very much like getting presents in the mail. Have fun!

Gentle Reader said...

I'm a huge fan of both BookMooch and LibraryThing. It's so nice to get books for free in the mail. And I love keeping track of my library on LibraryThing, plus the little widget on my blog is really fun :)

Anonymous said...

Yay, you've joined BookMooch. I love it. This reminds me I need to add some new books to my inventory and maybe mooch some :)