Friday, July 27, 2007

My 100th Post!

In honor of 100 posts, I present a couple of pictures...

First, my book stack from yesterday's acquisitions.



From the bottom up
Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson ... I've heard about it on several blogs through the Southern Reading Challenge, so when I saw it for $6 at B&N I grabbed it!

My latest mooch arrived yesterday in the mail, How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen. Very excited about it!

First full price purchase? Keith Donahue's The Stolen Child. It looks super good, and I hadn't realised it was out in paperback, so when I saw it I just couldn't help myself. Plus, it's highly wishlisted on bookmooch, so if I end up not liking it, it'll be easy to send off. :)

Jane Austen: Her Life and Letters. It was $2. It's Jane Austen. It's written by her nephew. Need I say more?

Katherine Mansfield's Bliss and Other Stories, which I bought because I've been thinking about short stories lately, I've never read anything by a New Zealander, and it was only $2.

I grabbed a Miss Marple-At Bertram's Hotel, despite it not being on sale, because I've been craving Agatha lately. Plus, I intend to have all the Miss Marples in my library one day.

I mentioned yesterday that I was playing with Excel to develop a way to organise my books. Well, I enjoyed being able to sort, but I wasn't happy with the way it looked. Frankly, it was boring. Then, I remembered that I could change fonts, colours, etc. So, pretty soon I had developed a scheme. Author names are green for male, purple for female. Book titles are aqua for fiction, orange for non-fic. TBR is yellow (to get my attention) and TBA (to be acquired) is pink, which also gets my attention. Finally, read is navy blue to stand out from all the other characteristics. The result? I can quickly tell important things about books, and it looks super pretty! I'm rather pleased with myself. ;)



And with that, I'm going to get back to reading.

Oh-almost forgot! I definitely want to do a blog roll game (see blogg-y thoughts post), but I'm not sure what the best time would be. Any thoughts?

8 comments:

Lisa said...

That spreadsheet looks awesome!

I don't have a list of my TBR, I'd be scared to actually count them.

Sam said...

That's a cool looking spreadsheet. Mine never look like that. :-(

Anonymous said...

I sympathize with the desire for a place to keep track of all book and reading lists. What I'd really like is if LibraryThing expanded to have wishlists and reading lists as well as a catalogue.

It's already integrated with book swap sites like BookMooch, which is perfect for wishlists, and it lets you record the dates you started and finished a book, which is ideal for reading lists. Fingers crossed that at least the wishlist feature is released sometime soon!

Eva said...

Lisa, I love having a big TBR list. But, I don't think of it as a list so much as a pool; I don't feel a need to definitely read all the books on it, but I like being able to dip into it for inspiration. ;) Right now, my spreadsheet lists about 350 books, but that includes the 100 read this year.

Sam, mine looked really boring until I started playing with colours and fonts. The font is Papyrus-I really like it! I know myself-if the spreadsheet wasn't pretty, I'd never use it.

Poodlerat, that would be a great addition to Library Thing! You should send in a suggestion. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 100th post :)
I also join in and say - cool looking spreadsheet!
I've heard a lot of good things about The Stolen Child too. Enjoy your new books.

Nyssaneala said...

Did you catch Bertram's Hotel on PBS last night? They've brought back the Agatha Christie BBC movies, the newer version with Geraldine McEwan.

Eva said...

Iliana, thanks for the congrats-even if it wasn't technically the case. :) I heart my new spreadsheet, lol.

Nyssaneala, I didn't catch it; I haven't read Bertram's Hotel, so I don't want to ruin the plot. In fact, I've never seen a Miss Marple movie-maybe I'll have to check and see if they're any good. I'm so attached to the Miss Marple in my mind, I don't know if any actors would work!

Petunia said...

I picked up Bliss for $2. as well. I haven't read Mansfield yet but I look forward to it.

And I am a big fan of Agatha Christy too. Miss Marple and Poirot are so much fun.

And the spreadsheet looks great.