Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Feeding the Addiction

I really, really need to take the link to Novel Challenges out of my blogroll. For those of you who haven't visited, Wendy posts about every reading challenge she comes across. I believe this makes her a pusher. And here's my latest hit:

the Seafaring Challenge. There are several reasons I'm joining this one:
+the button is just gorgeous, and I want it on my blog
+I never read nautical books, so it'll expand my horizons
+it has a really, really cool set up
+it runs from November to December, so it's after the R.I.P. II challenge and
+it gives me an excuse to use the word "swashbuckling," which has to be one my favourite words ever.

And now, for the book pool:
My library has many of the Master and Commander series (by Patrick O'Brian), so I'll definitely be reading the first of those. My library also has a handy-dandy reference book: Harbors and High Seas, which is an atlas for the series. Since I'm new to this genre, it should be helpful.

I also bookmooched The Nautical Chart by Arturo Perez-Reverte. I wasn't as entranced by The Shadow of the Wind as a lot of people seemed to be, but I did enjoy it. I want to give Perez-Reverte another chance to wow me!

I'm also eyeing my library's copy of Treasure Island, which sounds like a lot of fun! One of those classics I never read, and who can resist pirates? These three would earn me the rank of Commodore (see? I told you it was a neat setup)

If I want to go for Admiral, I have to squeeze in one more book. Fortunately, Danielle (a true ocean afficianado) has provided a great list of possibilities. From that list, I really like Birds of Prey by Wilbur Smith, and my library has a copy of it! Plus, Smith is South African. Along with the Spanish Perez-Reverte, this helps the challenge have a great international flavour. I might even go for the Super Special Admirality rank (kidding-I made that one up) and read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. Susan made it sound so appealing, and once again my library has a copy.

One of her 'extras' is Beat to Quarters by C.S. Forester, which is the first (publication-wise) of the Hornblower series. This series looks really good, but unfortunately this one isn't available at the library or bookmooch. :( My library does have the first (chronologically-wise) of the series, but I think it'd be neat to read them in the published order. We'll see.

There ends my list of swashbuckling heroes and dire ne'er-do-wells. Who else is willing to walk the plank? Argh. (hehe-I love this challenge already)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy the Patrick O'Brian books. They are some of my favorite novels and definitely my favorite series. I have the entire set, all 20. I've read about 13 to this point I believe. And if you haven't seen the Master and Commander movie yet you should, that is also one of my favorites!

Gentle Reader said...

I love the Patrick O'Brian books, too. I got Master and Commander for my dad around 10 years ago, then got hooked on the Aubrey-Maturin series myself. Matt--I really liked the movie, too!

And I could use an excuse to add Argh! and swashbuckling to my vocabulary--I'll have to check out this challenge, too :)

Heather said...

I'm going to join this one too but can I say that it was just a little bit evil of you to bring to my attention the existence of Novel Challenges!!

tanabata said...

I have a weird love-hate relationship with the Novel Challenges blog. I'm always a little excited to see new posts about new challenge, but then I'm just as relieved if the challenge isn't something I'm interested in or can manage. Twisted! ;)

Andi said...

I've never been much of a nautical reader, but I do have a friend that writes nautical novels!!! His name is C.D. White (or Charles White)...can't remember which name he used.

Have fun!

Eloise said...

No one can resist pirates! I've been tempted by this challenge, I'm not sure I can pass up the chance to re-read the Princess Bride. I think I might be joining you.

Petunia said...

What a timely challenge. I recently purchased In the Heart of the Sea and Endurance. And Eloise's suggestion of The Princess Bride has pushed me over the edge. How fun!

Rebecca H. said...

I'm swearing off challenges (outmoded authors is my only one), but that IS a cool button ...

Les said...

Like Dorothy W. states, I too am swearing off challenges (with the exception of the three currently involved in). If this were a 6-month challenge, I might be tempted since I have so many nautical books I'd love to read. But one month, especially so close to the holidays, just won't work for me. Maybe I'll "audit" the challenge and read one or two just for fun. :)

darkorpheus said...

I was tempted by this challenge at first -- as if I need more excuse to read more Patrick O'Brian, and I certainly would like to finish reading the Nautical Chart -- I actually like Perez-Reverte's cheesy noirish stories with their sexy femme fatale that does very bad things.

But alas. Will skip it. Too many books on-going.

You have fun though. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG - I was just going to post and ask for help on finding the Novel Challenges blog. I couldn't remember the name of it... granted, it's probably not a good thing that now I know :)

Good luck with your new challenge. I'm off to see which new ones sound good to me.

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to try and read one book for this challenge (not sure I could fit in any more), though I don't know which one yet. I like the button, too! :) You are in luck--the man who wrote Shadow of the wind is not the same one who wrote The Nautical Chart. I think it is Carlos Ruiz Zafon who wrote Shadow--it's confusing since Spaniards use all three names. I really like Perez-Reverte by the way! I love his Alatriste books (if you like swashbuckling--though he is not a pirate--more of a hired assassin!

Anonymous said...

What a great link! And one I'm going to have to stay far, far away from. I saw this challenge earlier this week, and briefly considered joining until I remembered I was supposed to be cleaning up my currently reading list. Alas mattey, I have to pass, but I'll enjoy hearing about your great reads!h

Eva said...

Matt, wow! Glad to see a strong vote in favour. :)

Gentle Reader, aren't they great words? I'm happy O'Brian seems so popular!

Heather, I'm sorry! Just close your eyes and back away from the screen. ;)

Tanabata, I have the same relationship! lol

Andi, I'll have to look him up. I wish I was cool enough to have author friends. :)

Eloise, yay!

Petunia, welcome aboard mate

Dorothy, isn't it cool? Good luck w/ swearing off challenges. I'm thinking about limiting myself next year.

Les, it's a three month challenge; Novemeber-January. But I can understand being nervous about the holidays!

Dark Orpheus, I like the femme fatales as well. Such a refreshing change!

Iliana, what a coincidence! Good luck trying to resist. :)

Danielle, whoops-thanks for correcting me. I was thinking of The Club Dumas.

J.S. Peyton, do stay far, far away. :) Good luck w/ all your current reads! And next matey. *grin*

Framed said...

This challenge looks like so much fun, but I can't possible join another one before the end of the year. I'm stressing about getting the ones I've joined finished. But I'm going to keep my eye on the Novel Challenge. For next year.

Eva said...

Framed, very understandable. :) So many 08 challenges have already formed, which I find quite disturbing!