Saturday, October 20, 2007

Hours Seven-Ten



Whew! So, B&N was quite nice (a think of a change of scenery is always good). While at the store, I read through the Agatha Christie (hour seven: 62 pages, hour eight: 85 pages, hour nine: 74 pages) and then began Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrless (hour ten: 54 pages). I enjoyed the Christie, although I don't think it's one of her best. So far, Lud-in-the-Mist is really, really good. The style is very fairy-tale like (it's recommended by Neil Gaiman), so it's quite soothing. It's for adults, however! A nice change of pace; more the kind of book that settle into slowly than a fast read.

Here are two mini-challenges I missed while I was away.

Jessica started the read-a-thon this afternoon. So far, she's enjoying Murakami's Norwegian Wood; I read this book earlier this year and loved it! Alison is in the Pretties and feeling a little tired. Fortunately, her son is there to make her S'Mores! Deb just cracked open The Case of the Missing Books, which is a mystery that I've heard decidely mixed reviews about. Can't wait to see what she thinks!

The other one is to write a letter to an author. Here's mine to Robert Alexander.
Dear Mr. Alexander,
Thank you so much for writing
The Kitchen Boy. Reading it brought me back to my time studying abroad in Russia, which was very precious for me. You're obviously a very talented writer, and you're equally obviously in love with that crazy, contradictory, beautiful country. I see that you studided in Leningrad; St. Petersburg was my first introduction to Russia, and I think that it's the most beautiful city I've ever seen (and thatn includes Paris and Venice!). I hope that you write many more books set in historical Russia, since I'm much more interested in the pre-Soviet Union era of the country. Reading your book was a true joy.
Sincerely,
Eva
Books Read (these hours): Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrless, The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie
Pages Read (cum.): 887
Books Completed: 3 (Tithe by Holly Black, The Kitchen Boy by Robert Alexander, The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie)
Mini-Challenges Participated In: 6

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, you are doing great! I will check back on your book reviews later but just wanted to stop in and say hi and see how you were doing. I also worked in a trip to the bookstore :) Check back with you later!

Eva said...

Iliana, thanks! I'm not really worrying about book reviews yet. :D Go bookstores!

Dewey said...

Nice letter! And I hadn't known you studied in Russia. I know a few people from Russia myself, though they live here now.